Today was different.
Because I covered the late shift last night, I didn't have to open this morning (I usually start at 730am). But I still had to get to school early if I wanted a ride down the hill cause my Mom had Bible study at 9. Little did I know, I would actually end up running into a Hawaiian goddess, known to some as "Beast" or simply Ashlee. I was planning on going into the beautiful courtyard of George Hall to sleep on a table, but I was pleasantly surprised by running into her. This is only the second time this semester that I saw her on campus. It was nice, even though it was a quick 20 minutes.
Another strange thing happened later...
So Mike and I went to Storto's in Kaimuki for lunch. He picked me up after class and I was going to pay for our lunch. So we order our sandwich and drink, and I'm about to pay when I realize that there's a "Cash Only" sign. I had only 8 dollars and the bill was ... ok, it was 22 dollars. Yes, pretty expensive, but the large sandwich is really delicious (and the bread's good too). Mike didn't have much cash on him either, so I decide to go to Long's across the street and take out some cash from the ATM. Even though I had enough money in my account, I was unauthorized to withdraw cash. So i decide to buy a burt's bees lip balm and get cash back at the register. My card gets denied. Twice. Thrice with about 5 customers behind me. I was pretty frustrated so I call my bank .. turns out they blocked my card since I bought the Eurail Pass (which was around $300) so it makes sense I suppose. That's always my fear though, that my card would be rejected, esp. with all those people behind me. I felt embarrassed although it wasn't necessary. Anyway, so I was on the phone and on the road to unblocking my card but they said they needed to know the exact amount of my last deposit. I estimated, but they needed the exact amount. (I'll have to go to the bank soon.) At this point, I felt so pathetic I was close to tearing (I'm weak and emotional, sad to say). I called mike to ask if he could take out some cash. So he uses the ATM in Storto's even though it's the kind that has a surcharge. When I came back, he was still in the process of taking out cash...then the machine spit out a super old-looking receipt that's even brown on the borders. Then the machine says "Temporarily out of service." Haha, we're like man..just our luck. I felt like we were a homeless couple or something. I suggested that he'd go to the ATM across the street, but the EVER SO KIND workers at Storto's were just like, don't worry, and they gave us the $22 meal for free. It was so so incredibly generous and kind. They were two girls around our age and they were really friendly and approachable (cause even when I got back from Long's, I was apologizing and explaining why i was gone for like 20 minutes). But they also said, "don't tell our manager" who would be in and out of the kitchen. Anyway, that was another thing that made me feel shame, but also gratefulness. Needles to say, we tipped them all the cash we had.
ahh, at least I know there are saints out there.
and now i will remember to let my bank know the dates and places in europe i'm going to.
Sounds super overwhelming.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I wish I could walk around campus and run into you! Even if it was just once. I forgot Ashlee goes to UH now. Mm mm good.
wow so great!
ReplyDelete