Thursday, March 11, 2010

Interesting Happenings: Part One

Wednesday night: Covered a Late Shift (7pm-12am) at Sinclair.
This was nice cause it gave me a chance to talk things through/vent with some coworkers, one whom I don't have compatible working hours with this semester (a tragedy, really). I'll soon blog about what I talked to them about.

The interesting part of this night was a person I met. This blond dorky (I mean that in a positive way) guy who looks super familiar came to the front desk and asked if we had any scanners. I said sorry, no, but Hamilton might (they used to). So as I was calling Hamilton, he noticed my Barcelona and Hostel books on the table and we started talking about that. He actually went hostelling through Spain and on another trip, London, France and Germany. He had a lot of positive stories to tell, and one not-so-positive (getting mugged by gypsies the one time he got drunk). All in all, it was reassuring to finally meet someone who had something positive to say about my trip, plus give me the confidence in some hostels. Even though I'm super excited for my trip, I'm not as open about it because so many people (esp "grown ups") are only worried about me and the fact that it's only two females traveling. Wtf? Why should the fear of traveling restrict me or any female from traveling? I understand their concern, but I hate that there's so much evil in the world that women and girls can't really walk alone at night under the stars (haha, I'm getting reminiscent of Daughters of the Moon, book one)). And especially not go on a trip to a foreign country. And there's so much human trafficking throughout every continent, it's disgusting, so I do understand the dangers out there. It just sucks. I wish there were no crime, hatred, violence, theft, lying in the world. Sin sucks.
But yes, it was nice to meet someone who went through a similar trip and could say that it really isn't as scary, as long as precautions are made and you don't act naive about things out there.

3 comments:

  1. I FEEL YOU! I get that a lot too: the fear and all that about two females traveling. I was talking to my cousin, who lives at Russia and traveled around Euro few years ago, and she had positive things to share as well. She had a really good experience and told me to just go for it. It isn't scary at all and we would be perfectly fine. It was a great comfort, knowing that it's coming from someone who has actually been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you excchange info with this guy? Or was it one of those encounters that you're simply added richness to each other's lives and then you go your seperate ways? Love those by the way. Love both. But, you knoooow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't exchange info, but I have seen him around the library many times. I think his name is James he said. If i have to harass him for more info on his trip, i will do so. i sure hope it doesn't resort to that!
    But it was one of those encounters where we both got a lot out of one conversation. If our paths cross again in the future, that would be cool. But even if it doesn't, then that's also fine.

    ReplyDelete