Friday, April 23, 2010

Lost in Translation - Metaphor Research

"...When we try to explain a metaphor to someone who does not understand it, we often feel inadequate and have a vague sense of desecration as if we were dissecting the wings of a butterfly. A certain ineffable quality is lost in the paraphrase of a metaphor, reminiscent of how a joke goes flat if it has to be spelled out. We feel that a metaphor has to be 'seen' rather than analysed if its import is to be fully grasped. This sense of something elusive about metaphor is important, and in due course we must attempt to identify its origins."

--Norman Kreitman, The Roots of Metaphor: A Multidisciplinary Study in Aesthetics, page 114-15

Just something that stood out to me from my research. Wish me luck on my presentation on Monday - first to present at 9:30 (for Linguistics 102).

3 comments:

  1. Thats beautiful! Thanks for sharing. You'll do fabulously. I feel like singing that one song for you.. I can't think of it. Go Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, thanks guys :D I think it went fairly well, and I'm so relieved I went first! That was the first time I was first to present - I should do it more often.

    ReplyDelete